[dev] Horde 5?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed Feb 29 16:00:01 UTC 2012

> > I've always wondered if Imap_Client would get more support if I
> > moved it out into a separate repo that could be more visibly shopped
> > around.  That library is way better than any of the crapball IMAP
> > packages on Horde, and tons better than the duct-taped, feature
> > starved, performance deficient libraries other opensource PHP
> > webmail projects maintain.  At this point in the development, the
> > major issues tend to be broken IMAP servers, and this kind of
> > feedback necessarily needs to come from others since my personal
> > server usage is limited.
>
> I understand your point, but I'm still confused as to why developers
> wouldn't use our PEAR package? What is the purpose of publishing them
> the way we do if we seem to be saying they should be using a Git
> checkout? Is it *just* to make installing the entire Horde stack
> easier? Not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just really trying to
> understand the difference in viewpoint. To me, Git and PEAR server two
> very different purposes.

I think there are two types of developer here: one which uses library and API as is, and one which reuses the code, modifies it and maybe contributes back to Horde. PEAR packages are ideal for first ones and I think this would be a majority.

I understand core Horde developers desire to somewhat "force" git on developers, but not to sound too pesimistic, realisticly most will be just reusing Horde's libraries as is. And I think this is almost as good as giving back.

--
  Vilius