[dev] [core] Which PHP version for Horde 5?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Mar 7 07:37:49 UTC 2012

Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Am 04.03.2012 14:38, schrieb Jan Schneider:
>>
>> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>>
>>> Since we're bumping up a major version - do we want to jump to at
>>> least 5.3? 5.4 would be fun, but it's undoubtedly too early. Maybe for
>>> Horde 6. :)
>>
>> With all slow distributions (Debian, RHEL, CentOS) shipping PHP 5.3 with
>> their latest stable versions, this shouldn't be a problem. Unless anyone
>> comes up with a good reason to stick with PHP 5.2, which has been EOLed
>> already in December 2010, I'm all for it.
>>
>> Jan.
>>
> SLES has shipped PHP 5.3 only last week, but at the same time
> deprecated PHP 5.2.
>
> I don't want to deliberately break 5.2 but if we need the 5.3
> features, we should use them.

I would expect that a few users will still have to stick to 5.2 for a
while. But those can block the Horde 5 packages then, have at least
one year of time guaranteed until the switch to 5.3 becomes mandatory.
I think that is a reasonable compromise between being modern and
supporting legacy.

Cheers,

Gunnar