[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. ff8350869d97ecdf9876e57d427aa046682fe5c9

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 14 06:25:18 UTC 2012

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>>    Fix folder/mailbox usage
>>
>>    Folders = collection of mailboxes. Example: you don't subscribe to a
>>    folder - you subscribe to a mailbox. Keep subfolders usage - this is
>>    clearer to me than submailboxes (once you start talking about the child
>>    of a mailbox, this implies there is a collection of mailboxes anyway).
>>
>>    I've been trying to clean this up over the last few years, but a new
>>    major version is the appropriate place to do these big changes.
>>
>>    For now, keep the old preference names (e.g. sent_mail_folder) for ease
>>    in upgrading.
>
> This might be a difference in language terminology, so I'm just
> commenting on the German side of things. But to me the difference
> between mailbox and folder in natural language usage is: mailbox is
> used for the whole account, folder for the mailbox in imap terms.
> That technically incorrect, but it's what people actually use.

I think this is very dependent on the MUA.  TB does appear to use
Folder instead of mailbox.  Gmail uses "Labels" instead of either
(although in the preferences it refers to both IMAP mailboxes and
folders).

At this point, as long as we are consistent in the usage, that was my
goal.  The majority of references in IMP 5 were to mailboxes rather
than folders - this change was just to make things uniform.

I feel as long as we use the same terminology throughout, whatever we
decide to use (mailbox) will be fine.  Nobody has complained about the
usage of either term to this point, so my guess is that people will
adapt to using whatever we call it.

michael