[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. ff8350869d97ecdf9876e57d427aa046682fe5c9

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Mar 15 02:10:06 UTC 2012

Quoting Rui Carneiro <rui.arc at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Luis Felipe Marzagao <
> lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Em 12/03/12 05:59, Jan Schneider escreveu:
>>

>>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>>
>>>     Fix folder/mailbox usage

>>> This might be a difference in language terminology, so I'm just
>>> commenting on the German side of things. But to me the difference between
>>> mailbox and folder in natural language usage is: mailbox is used for the
>>> whole account, folder for the mailbox in imap terms. That technically
>>> incorrect, but it's what people actually use.
>>>
>>>  Same thing in pt_BR
>

> And pt_PT :)

Obviously, as translators you can do whatever you want.

But in English, mailbox is more correct than folder:

- Although technical, the IMAP RFC (and related RFCs) refer to
mailboxes, although the Abstract to RFC 3501 agrees that mailbox and
folder have been used interchangeably in the past.
- You have an inBOX, not an inOLDER.
- In an OS UI, a folder is a container element meant to illustrate a
tree structure.  A folder does not contain any data itself.
- Wikipedia agrees with me also, so I must be correct :) -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_box

michael