[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. a211977cd603adb6c109a259a4fd771dc574d908

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jun 5 21:27:31 UTC 2012

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Stripping non-base parts (base-parts = a single base part message
>>> or a base message of type multipart/mixed) breaks things like
>>> Content-Length, PGP & S/MIME signatures, display of embedded parts
>>> (e.g. multipart/related).  And it simply can't be done for
>>> message/rfc822 parts at all, since the full contents of that part
>>> are assumed/expected to be the full details of the original message.
>>>
>>> The only way to display a UI that allows stripping, and not
>>> confuse the user by declaring certain parts "off-limits", is to
>>> restrict to base parts only.
>>>
>>> It sucks that Apple Mail is so broken.  But we shouldn't break
>>> everything else to fix messages received from one buggy MUA.
>>
>> We are more or less "breaking" messages already anyway, by allowing
>> to strip parts and thus alter existing messages. I personally won't
>> mind if for example an image from a multipart/related message
>> doesn't show up anymore, or the encryption signature gets broken. I
>> know I'm going to alter the message, so I'm not surprised if it's
>> kinda broken. Not sure what implications a broken Content-Length
>> header has though.
>
> I'm pretty set on my belief that we shouldn't be stripping from
> message/rfc822 no matter what.  But I could be convinced otherwise
> on the other parts.  Especially if we move the strip action from the
> normal message view and isolate it exclusively to the Show All
> Message Parts view (especially now that we have that option in the
> dynamic view).

Yes, I agree that a message/rfc822 part should be considered a single
attachment that can't be stripped any sub-parts off. At least as long
as we don't have an option to render those parts in a complete message
view.

Moving the stripping icons to the Show All Parts is fine for me too,
since both are advanced features anyway.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project