[dev] UI feedback

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jul 3 17:31:10 UTC 2012

> Using the interface over the weekend, these are my thoughts (on imp):
>
> * Padding has not grown at me.  At all.  It is wasting space on the
> screen and is distracting.  We need to get rid of it.  (For the
> record, I had raised these concerns in the original feedback.  I
> didn't feel the need to raise them again the 2nd goaround, since it
> would have just been repetitive of the original feedback).

The padding was already reduced in the 2nd round, so I assumed that we
all are (more or less, but at least sufficiently) happy with it.
I don't think we will really find a padding that everybody is happy
with anyway, so I only see another theme as the only option, like
mentioned in my earlier reply. I personally find it less distracting
*with* the padding, especially for the inexperienced user. Those are
the users who complained most about the current design, advanced users
care more about functionality than design.

> * On the compose screen, why is there so much padding between
> Priority and Encryption?  It looks broken.  The popdown buttons are
> too far away from the text here (and in Folder Actions in mailbox
> screen).  Popdown positioning does seem appropriate in both the top
> bar and action buttons.

Needs fixing.

> * Shouldn't the search icon appear before the search box rather than
> after?  As currently styled, there should probably be some sort of
> separator between search and logout.

I think the idea is to make that a submit button (and of course also
mark the search field). As such it makes more sense after the input
field. That functionality isn't implemented yet though.

> * Still totally disagree about the large/bolded subject.  That's
> just bad UI theory.  Duplication of data with no benefit (and users
> are never going to look at that information anyway).

I think you are going to convince me on that, there isn't much I can
say against those arguments.

> And IIRC, we did analytics (at least at SAPO) and most users DO have
> the preview header expanded to show To/Cc/Bcc, so this is an issue.
>
> * There's also no discernible indication that the preview header can
> be toggled.  Or that the From/To/Cc/Bcc names are associated with a
> context menu.

Since they have context menus, shouldn't they have a popdown icon
anyway, for consistency? Consistency is also the reason that I removed
the default underline, because those, and the address book links in
the compose window, were the only active elements that used those
markup.

> * There's an issue where the preview pane is not correctly sizing to
> the bottom of the screen.  The right vertical scroll bar is floating
> about 10px above the bottom of the browser window.

Yes, I noticed this too, needs fixing before the final release.

> * Folder lists are broken: everything after the first child level is
> displayed at the same indentation.  Really not digging the icons
> either - the expand/collapse folder icons are impossible to
> distinguish.

Indention needs fixing, I only have one sub-level, so I didn't notice.

I agree with the icons, but it's what we got for now, and I'm not
designer enough to make the plus/minus badges larger from the vector
sources that we have.

> * We need to expand the space for the flag icons.  At times, you can
> only see one icon.  Probably need to expand From also.  I Understand
> Subject is the most "important" information, but right now way it is
> taking up too much space.  (Maybe this is motivation to implement
> dynamically expanding columns.)

Yes, I wasn't going to look into this until the icons are sorted out though.

> * Hiding groups of icons in the context menus are broken - double
> separator lines exist.  This was working fine before switching themes.

The double separators are actually the old separators which grouped
menu items. Since we have now borders between every item, I needed to
find some way to highlight groups. Thicker lines didn't work with the
design. I'm open for better suggestions, I don't like the current
solution much either.

> * Action buttons are broken - or at least are not intuitive since
> they require clicking on the text.  Clicking the surrounding
> space/icon doesn't work.  There needs to be a definable area to
> click on - namely, all space inside of the vertical separators.

Yes, that was broken in the delivered design. I planned to look into this.

> * Is there a reason the font was changed?  I'm finding the current
> serif font (at least on Windows) more difficult to read - it is too
> narrow.  I much prefer the old font we were using.

Serif? The default font is Arial now and looks pretty well on all
platforms I have tested so far.

> * There is no feedback when clicking/hovering action buttons.

This has already been added to the delivered calendar design, but I
haven't ported that yet.

> * There is no feedback when clicking/hovering refresh that something
> is actually happening.

Yes, I'd like to have that icon spinning, but didn't have the time for
it so far.

> * Popdown menus should automatically trigger on icon hover.  Don't
> think this was part of the previous theme, so this is instead a
> feature request.

I'm not sure what you mean. The hover effect that is used in the
topbar? I'm fine with using that in the IMP popdowns too, but I didn't
change any of the existing code so far.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project