[dev] CSS clearing DIVs

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jul 16 04:39:43 UTC 2012

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> I noticed that there are now all sorts of float clearing DIVs in
>> the markup.  Why is this?  I thought this was an old (pre-2005)
>> issue that can be handled in other ways.  E.g.:
>>
>> http://www.sitepoint.com/simple-clearing-of-floats/
>
> Lack of knowledge? :)

Turns out that using overflow:auto won't work in a few cases due to
some issues with margin/icon spacing.  And the clearing DIV *is* the
W3C recommended way of handling this issues.

But at least for imp, doesn't appear we need any of the float clearing
divs (i've already removed them).  And in Horde we are going to remove
the vast majority of these when fixing the sidebar to use unordered
lists again.  So I don't feel a need to remove the remaining DIVs.

michael