[dev] Splitting the Horde repository without splitting it

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Aug 8 16:56:08 UTC 2012

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:

> Hi!
>
> A while ago we discussed the merits of splitting the Horde git
> repostiory into its different module. I learned about "git subtree" last
> week and so far my testing indicated that it would allow us to get the
> best of both worlds: having both the monolithic repo (our main
> workspace) and the splitted repositories. Exchanging commits both ways
> should be possible.
>
> I described the approach with a blog post:
>
> http://log.pardus.de/2012/08/modular-git-with-git-subtree.html
>
> In case people would agree to use "git subtree" we should probably add
> another repository on our dev server that will solely be used for the
> splitting. The post-receive hook should not end up in the main repo as
> that would mean that the splitting over 100 repos would occur with each
> an every commit. This would probably slow down the commit process and
> nothing I would like to do without more testing.
>
> We would also need to add repositories on github that would represent
> the different modules?
>
> Any comments concerning "git subtree"?

This seems to be a much better approach then the (IMO) unusable git
submodule solution.  If I understand the workflow correctly, our
current repository would remain unchanged and our current workflow
would be unaffected?

We would add a cron job that would periodically push from our main
repo to the "intermediate" repo, which would then perform the
necessary splitting operations?

We would then push these subtrees to individual repos on github for
public consumption? Would we still maintain the existing github repo?

Would the splitted repos contain all the same branches that the master
repo contained?

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)