[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. 8b52fbc316c6846bb4ffd96c25a8ffcd9cbbe695

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Aug 25 19:53:28 UTC 2012

Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> I figured there would be some blowback from this, but thinking
>> about this for several days, I believe this is the correct
>> solution.  Looking at other mobile-like interfaces, I could not
>> find another that explicitly had navigation buttons like this.
>> Almost all mobile apps assume that users understand the ability to
>> pinch-zoom, swipe, and long click at this point.
>>
>> A potential option would be to put floating arrows on either side
>> of the screen to indicate to the user that they can navigate.  But
>> I'm not sure if the benefit is worth the expense, given that I
>> believe that message-level navigation is not a frequently used
>> option in the smartmobile context.
>>
>> My usage pattern when using smartmobile view is to scan the mailbox
>> for new "interesting" messages to read, and then go read them one
>> at a time.  I am not interested in traversing the mailbox (and,
>> concurrently, all unseen messages) since I am not looking to
>> actively manage my mailbox using this interface, since it is
>> admittedly a bit clunky.  Smartmobile exists as a way to primarily
>> *read* emails on the go.  Advanced mail management actions just
>> confuse and hinder this goal.
>>
>>> I agree with Jan. I don't see any harm in leaving them in and it
>>> provides a small benefit for a subset of users.
>>
>> I disagree (obviously) and am looking to trim other features as
>> well.  Namely "Edit As New".  This is not a "core" feature and
>> arguably isn't useful at all on the smartmobile platform since it
>> is pretty much impossible (well, at least very difficult) to go
>> through and edit currently existing text.  Plus, most other mail
>> clients don't directly offer this as a core feature, or at least as
>> a visible core feature, so it can be confusing to most users.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion as far as the "Edit As New" not being
> needed on mobile, but would tend to agree with Michael here.

I have the same opinion on this like on other advanced features, see below.

>> These extra buttons DO clutter up the available actions and make it
>> more difficult to select the proper button to click.  In the mobile
>> world, I believe that redundant UI needs to be eliminated - you
>> select the best UI method for the particular action and that's it.
>
> I can understand your argument here, though I disagree. What about
> clients that don't have touch screens? I'm thinking specifically
> about BB here. E.g., on my wife's BB, the mobile interface is usable
> (though clunky) by navigating links via the trackball (or whatever
> BB calls it). Are we willing to force these devices to the minimal
> view just because we want to remove the navigation buttons?

Good point.

>> The goal of the smartmobile mail client (IMHO) is to be allowed to
>> view messages and be able to do quick, basic actions (Reply,
>> Forward, Delete, Spam).  It is not intended to be an application to
>> *manage* your mail account however.  Redirecting, Move, and Copy
>> are somewhat more advanced options and are of somewhat dubious
>> value in the smartmobile context.
>
> I disagree here. I can see Redirect as being a vital action for
> corporate users. I can see Copy being unnecessary, but I wouldn't
> want to be without Move. If my normal workflow is to move an email
> out of my INBOX after I've read it, I want to be able to do this
> while I'm reading it, regardless of what interface I'm using.  I
> don't want to have to handle the same email in my INBOX twice. I use
> my mobile for managing my mail *far* more often than I use the
> desktop interface. Granted, I'm using either a native email client
> or the ActiveSync client on my phone to do it, but that doesn't mean
> it shouldn't be possible with the mobile web interface.

This interface is also used by devices with much larger screens, like
tablets. Those *could* in many case replace the desktop browser
completely, I don't want to artificially reduce functionality that we
already have, at almost no cost. I agree that a crowded interface on a
phone screen is a cost, but I don't consider the current interface too
crowded yet. And more importantly, the example of tablets is a strong
argument why more advanced option might not be dubious in the
smartmobile context at all. At least not always.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project