[dev] Question about problem with VANISHED CHANGEDSINCE requests.

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Nov 2 04:22:59 UTC 2012

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> We've discussed this issue before, and I realize it is most likely
>> a problem with the dovecot server. I want to verify this before I
>> start a discussion on the dovecot@ list though.
>>
>> The problem is VANISHED queries sometimes seem to return ALL UIDs
>> that ever existed in the mailbox. It follows no pattern that I can
>> detect - though I had a thought that it might happen if the the
>> email that was associated with the particular MODSEQ value being
>> used in the CHANGEDSINCE query is no longer present in the mailbox.
>> Anyway, once it happens it *always* happens with the given MODSEQ
>> value.
>>
>> I used to work around it in code by checking if a UID returned was
>> below the expected minimum, but this no longer works due to recent
>> changes in the imap code - it now hits against the server memory
>> limit before I get a chance to check the UIDs.
>
> Can you expand on this?  You shouldn't be running into any memory
> limit with the new code.

Currently, when I get the incorrect results from the
$imap_ob->vanished() call, I hit against a memory limit in
Horde_Imap_Client_Ids on line 160 during array_flip operation. It
could be coincidence, or maybe the results I'm getting now are much
larger than when I was getting this error previously, but I was not
getting this earlier.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)