[dev] STATUS_SYNC* discussion (Was: [Tickets #11612] Re: Broken imap fetch query)

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Nov 6 17:37:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

> <snip>

>> Why are you storing/comparing flags?  I don't think it's asking too
>> much to require someone who wants to use activesync to be using a
>> CONDSTORE server, or else they are not getting flag changes.  That's
>> the way IMP used to work, and is a reasonable trade-off.

> Honestly, because I want to avoid the "It works with ZPush" complaints
> and it isn't that much more work to implement. Few things will
> irritate users more than seeing an inbox full of unread messages on
> their device after they have already read them on the desktop. I
> already need to get the flag state from the server anyway (I have to
> filter out the /deleted flag since AS doesn't support it). Do you have
> any information regarding the prevalence of CONDSTORE support in
> modern IMAP servers? If it's mostly ubiquitous then I'd have no
> problem removing it.

I  don't want to interrupt the discussion, but there is one more thing
to  consider.  Even  if  the IMAP server supports CONDSTORE it doesn't
mean  that  MODSEQ  is  available  on  the  mailbox  level.  It can be
enabled/disabled  per  folder. In fact all versions of Cyrus until and
including  2.3  has  it  disabled  by default. Not sure if it was ever
changed  in 2.4, because Cyrus roadmap contained exactly that item for
2.4, but I don't have a possibility to try. Even  if  it  was  the  case  all  most popular commercial Linux
distributions still runs 2.3 series.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius