[dev] [commits] Horde branch imp_6_1 updated. d6b64567a2a42f722b042bd63024919f8f7c95ec

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Feb 26 04:10:03 UTC 2013

>> If possible you should still check if you could turn the tasks into
>> independent Horde_Queue tasks though.
>
> How come?  As long as the Horde_ShutdownRunner instance is
> guaranteed to run in the Horde environment on the current page, what
> does it matter? (The ShutdownRunner would never use something like
> Db storage because that simply doesn't make any sense).
>
> It is much more useful to be able to define a shutdown task without
> regard to what's *in* the shutdown task - in other words, to allow
> the shutdown task to be able to altered in the future without
> worrying about any state being passed to the task.
>
> I understand that the ShutdownRunner doesn't do much right now, but
> I could see in the future adding something like priority queueing -
> so that shutdown tasks that MUST happen are run first in case a
> later queue task crashes the system and prevents the critical tasks
> from running.

FWIW I don't think any of this makes sense as part of Horde_Queue.
Horde_Queue is for things that could be done by a distributed queuing
system like Gearman. By definition, talking to an IMAP server with a
user's credentials is problematic since we don't usually store user
passwords for the active system. Anything requiring session state,
basically, is out. The sweet spot here is things like crawling a
bookmarked link in Trean, or generating thumbnails in Ansel.

A generic, more featureful shutdown runner seems like a reasonable
thing to me, but it's different from Horde_Queue.

-chuck