[dev] [commits] Horde branch mnemo_4_1 updated. 7324877f91d83f8de26d41ba7ca05be559255994

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Mar 26 20:19:35 UTC 2013

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> I still think we need to look at making master the git HEAD branch
>> and having "release" branches.  This helps with merge conflicts
>> since those who commit a general fix to the release branch also
>> have to concurrently commit such a fix to the master branch, and
>> they are in the best position to resolve merge conflicts rather
>> than having a later committer try to figure this out later.  This
>> would also enforce the fact that only bug fixes should go into the
>> release branch, since its a PITA to have to make multiple commits
>> if you are developing something that is a new feature instead.
>
> Those are good points pro your argumentation for a different branching model.

More points:
   - Currently, we have all sorts of topic branches for the x.1
versions.  But this means that changes to each individual topic branch
are probably not being tested by others.  I pretty much run imp_6_1
myself, but I don't get a chance to test turba_4_1 at all - I'm just
switching to it, committing, and then switching back.  For total code
coverage, it sort of makes sense if us developers are testing all
next-generation versions at this point, rather than dumping them all
into a common branch a month before releasing.
   - An increasing presence for those wanting to look at the latest
features/advancements in IMP is our page on github.  As it stands now,
you go to that page and it sort of looks like progress has
stagnated/slowed since the release of H5 (since master is always the
default branch shown).  That couldn't be farther from the truth.  And
there is very little indication that the current x.1 topic branches
are important.  After all - H4-Icalendar branch appears much more
prominently than horde_5_1, for example.

michael