[dev] [commits] Horde branch mnemo_4_1 updated. 7324877f91d83f8de26d41ba7ca05be559255994

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Mar 28 21:10:37 UTC 2013

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> Not to mention that if you actually clone our git repo, what is
>> ALWAYS the default branch?  master.
>
> And this still makes sense to me, because I think that people expect
> a usable, mostly stable code if they checkout our source. And this
> is exactly what master gets them. But whatever we decide to put in
> master, we should communicate this better.

This argument goes both ways for me.  In the current state of the
horde repo, master doesn't make much sense because everything is all
over the place.  Some things are "stable", some are "unstable", some
are "kinda stable but new features are being developed here" and some
are "stable and new features are taking place elsewhere".  So this
portion of the discussion becomes moot if/when we reorganize the repo
layout.

As for what the correct usage of master is... I understand the
argument to have master be the "quasi-stable" branch which is current
release + patches.  However, my personal usage when I checkout the
actual source via a VCS is to see what up+coming features are in the
pipeline.  Someone running a stable branch might be interested in
patches to that stable branch, but they can get these patches from the
bleeding-edge branch (presumably).  Also, IMHO it is easier to clone a
repo and then checkout the branch needed; this should be fairly
straightforward by looking at the branch names.  It can be more
difficult to do the opposite - clone a repo and then determine which
is the "true" development branch (i.e. IMP now has a imp_6_1 and
imp_7_0 branch.  The imp_6_1 is really the bleeding edge branch, but
you wouldn't be able to know this from the names).

michael