[dev] Changing configuration file format

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Jun 7 09:23:04 UTC 2013

Considering the increasing post to the mailing lists of people having
problems creating their *.local.php files, we should consider going
back to a line-oriented configuration file format, like we use in the
generated conf.php files.
I prefer the current format too, but especially for less experienced
administrators it's much easier to copy single lines from a
backends.php file to a backends.local.php file and just change their
values. Building such a line from the current nested hash structures
is impossible without at least some PHP knowledge, and still tedious
even for experienced administrators. This often ends up in users
copying the complete configuration hash into the *.local.php files
which is exactly what we *don't* want.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project