[dev] Git splitting

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jun 20 05:25:56 UTC 2013

Now that the main portion of the x.1 releases are out the door, time
to talk about splitting the Git repo.

(If there was any doubt we need to split, try cloning the Git repo
from GitHub.  I did it today and it took 3 1/2 minutes.  Ugh)

Created a wiki page summarizing some agreements we have previously
made on the list:

http://wiki.horde.org/Project/SplitGitRepo

Went ahead and did a test-run on converting Horde_Imap_Client to a
separate repo.  Instructions on what I did are on the wiki page.
Results of that can be seen here:

https://github.com/slusarz/horde-imap-client-test

This is something that can be easily scripted.  Although it is
somewhat time-consuming - the 'git gc' command alone (necessary to
reduce the repo size from 150 MB - > 2 MB) took approximately 19
minutes of CPU time --  luckily I have an 8 core machine, so it
finished in a more reasonable 2 minutes.  So this will probably be
something we will need to run overnight when we convert all the
apps/libraries.  I will gladly donate usage of my machine to do this.

The next step will be to determine how we can use PHP composer to
allow developers to assemble the disparate repos into a format that we
can actually use on a day-to-day basis.  Should not be that difficult
- we should only need to replace/alter the install scripts in
framework/bin.

michael