[dev] PHP Composer generator

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Jun 22 15:34:19 UTC 2013

Zitat von Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> 2013/6/22 Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> commit 177c56385bf4b04c47357c2dfabfd49797e6fd6d
>>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>>> Date:   Tue Apr 2 15:58:41 2013 -0600
>>>
>>>     [mms] Add PHP Composer generator.
> [...]
>>>  create mode 100644 components/lib/Conductor/PEARPackageFilev2.php
>>>  create mode 100644 components/lib/Conductor/Package2XmlToComposer.php
> [...]
>> For any package/application, can now do:
>>
>> horde-components composer
>>
>> and a composer.json file will be generated.
>
> This patch includes files with "This file is part of Conductor "
> header which looks like integration of external library (there is also
> the Sabre_Dav library included somewhere else). Couldn't this be
> replaced by a dependency on the corresponding PEAR package if it
> exists? Or creating such package?
>
> This is a general question on how to limit code duplication
> distribution-wide.
>
> [...]
>
> Regards
> --
> Mathieu Parent

If people wouldn't stop distributing their packages via PEAR, this
would be possible. But Composer is not a package manager and instead
encourages bundling of 3rd party components. This is my strongest
criticism on the Composer architecture, and why it could never (at
least in its current state) replace PEAR or something similar.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project