[dev] Current status of Kolab backend

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Oct 8 22:28:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have played with Horde 5 and a Kolab2 backend now for a while. My
overall impression is that it works quite well.

But after three weeks of using it for my mail account (not for my
customers, yet), I must also say that there are several issues that
are not working.

1.
The Kolab authentication backend has been changed from IMAP to LDAP
some time ago. In Horde3, LDAP was used as auth backend, and with LDAP
as backend it is possible to list users and groups. This listing of
users and groups is essential to the Horde internal ACL system
(enabling certain Horde features for certain groups, etc.).

2.
Calendar sharing is broken. If I set my settings properly on the Kolab
storage folders (using cyradm or my Horde3 instance that runs in
parallel), then I can access other people's folders on the same Kolab
server. However, if I start playing with the ACLs (on a Calendar
share), then I loose all resource sharing ACLs on that share. :-(

3.
Is Kolab3 going to be supported? (/me will probably be the Debian
maintainer of the new Kolab packages in Debian). So the question is,
will it make sense to work on a Kolab3 integration with Horde inside
of Debian (or not)?

4.
Is the Horde team open for Kolab relevant patches? Who has Git commit
access in Horde to commit those patches?

5.
Gunnar Wrobel did most of the Kolab storage backend work in Horde.
Someone on IRC mentioned, he is not working on Horde anymore. Are
there other upstream Horde devs that maintain (and improve) the Kolab
backend?

Regards,
Mike (aka sunweaver at debian.org)
--