[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 92777395c80c6ae515570038e14afb47ceb27175

Vilius Sumskas/LNK vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Oct 15 08:03:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

dev-bounces at lists.horde.org wrote on 2013.10.15 05:19:47:

> From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> To: dev at lists.horde.org
> Date: 2013.10.15 05:19
> Subject: Re: [dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated.
> 92777395c80c6ae515570038e14afb47ceb27175
> Sent by: dev-bounces at lists.horde.org

> > Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

> >> ....Except we hear all the time about people that have issues
> >> precisely because they have removed these files.
> >
> > Really? I don't recall any. Which doesn't have to mean anything. But
> > "all the time" is definitely not true. What really happens all the
> > time is that people have incorrect .local.php file, see below.
>
> Seems to me that there is all sorts of incidents where people force
> reinstall from PEAR and things are fixed.  This wouldn't fix issues
> with *.local.php files, so *something* is happening.
>
> Obviously, reinstalling fixing this could be due to other issues.  But
> you must admit that this almost certainly COULD be the issue also:
>
> mv prefs.php prefs.local.php

I think "reinstall fixing" is due to the fact that most OS'es handle PEAR
terribly. For example some of them stores PEAR .pearrc file in users Home
directory. These .pearrc files are constantly cleared by OS cleanup
services (or after user logout) and horde_dir setting is cleared with
them. I think there was a ticket on bugs.horde.org to switch installation
process from a user namespace to system namespace, but not sure if it ever
was implemented.

Similar issues could happen if admin is using sudo to run the
installation.

I agree with Michael that Horde could check *.local.php files for issues
but making PEAR work em... predictably is more important.

--
   Vilius