[dev] Installation Thoughts

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Fri Oct 18 13:16:39 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 05:56 AM, Mathieu Parent wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> 2013/10/17 Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>> Going through our installation process on a Debian VM (specifically using a
>> distro that has given us issues), and here's what I think so far.  (This is
>> simply on the PEAR install process - this is independent of
>> configuring/running any of our code.)
>
> (with my Debian packager hat).
>
> Shouldn't the recommended way to install Horde on distributions be
> using the native package manager?
>
> For Debian jessie, this can be done with:
> apt-get install php-horde-webmail # for example
>
> Complete instructions (including Debian 7) are at: https://wiki.debian.org/Horde
>
> This provide better upgrade mechanism as well as proper dependency
> tracking (PEAR lacks in those both areas, and Composer is not really
> better).
>
>> * Two immediate fatal flaws I see.  beta/alpha packages are NEVER installed
>> and packages from foreign channels are NEVER installed.  At least with the
>> default PEAR settings on Debian 7.
>
> This seems a reasonable default.
>
> [...]
>>
>> This can be fixed by doing a force install (-f).  But I have to admit that,
>> as someone familiar with PEAR/PECL, this is not apparent to me at all.  For
>> someone -- i.e. pretty much every one else -- they are going to think that
>> horde_lz4 is properly installed on their system.
>
> Yes. PEAR is broken in handling PECL packages.
>
>> Takeaways from all this:
>>    1. Not saying we should remove -B, but we have to workaround this.
>
> Why don't you simply remove -B?
>
> [...]
>
> Regards

I want to just toss in that the Debain install from scratch is indeed as
easy as described by Mathieu (thanks to his hard work).  I used Aptitude
to install php-horde-webmail, set up my appropriate
/etc/horde/*.local.php files along with nginx and php-fpm and was in
business.

And upgrades for the last 8 months have been smooth and mostly painless
(except for the problem with trean not reading it's prefs.php and having
to deal with a db error caused by an empty $sortby value, which I have
created a trouble ticket for)

Thanks to all you Horde maintainers.

--
Andy Dorman
FanMail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the named person's use only.
It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
erroneous transmission. If you receive this message in error, please
immediately destroy it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or
indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.