[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 760524934f11365acac54b36a4ced40996062ebe

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Oct 22 13:03:34 UTC 2013

> This doesn't necessarily mean that we aren't allowed to bump a major
> version of a library inbetween major releases of Horde. If for
> example Horde_Imap_Client 3.0 would have been ready for IMP 6.2, we
> could release it, and make it a requirement in IMP. The problem is,
> and that's a good example of the general problem of decoupling
> libraries from Horde major versions: Since 3.0 is API incompatible
> to 2.x, *all* apps and libraries of Horde_Imap_Client would have to
> be updated to the new API. Otherwise users of, say IMP and
> Horde_ActiveSync cannot upgrade at all.

I would argue against this. It's a very dangerous precedent to set.
With Horde_Imap_Client, we might be able to get away with every
library that uses it also upgrading to the new API, but that can lead
down a very slippery slope - every one of those libraries would need
to be major version bumped too, making a large number of our libraries
potentially not API compatible withing the same major version. Isn't
this one of the reasons we exclude the next major version in the
package.xml dependency list?

> Besides the technical reasons for keeping releases synchronized,
> there is another aspect: marketing. Horde 5 is keyword, as well as
> an eco system. Like Symfony2 is. If we want to encourage and
> propagate usage of Horde libraries, we must not get developers into
> dependency hell or having to learn different APIs or coding standards.
>
> The release of Horde_Socket is spilt milk now though. I'm not a
> friend of pulling releases, and I don't think releasing 2.0 without
> namespace, just to release 3.0 with namespaces again, once we
> namespace all libraries, is a good option either.

Agreed.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)