[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 62b322a88d6e33fe766d813d16b6580fc4974775

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Nov 12 05:04:50 UTC 2013

>> My one issue with the current context menus is that, unlike say
>> Windows, the row that triggers the submenu *is* a valid clickable
>> item.  In Windows, that isn't the case.  I'd sort of like to see a
>> context-menu UI where, for items that are clickable by themselves,
>> that the submenu is not displayed unless you hover over the
>> right-most 15% of the row.  Especially if those submenus are
>> "advanced" options, they shouldn't be displayed to a normal user
>> but should be easily available for more advanced users.
>
> I completely lost you here.

In Windows, say you have a menu with two entries:

File
Other >

"File" is directly clickable.  "Other" is a submenu.  Hovering over
Other opens the submenu.  But Other *itself* is never clickable.

That is different from our context menus, where the parent item MAY be
clickable (and may not).  It's not consistent UI - and these kind of
window UI menus are both 1) common and 2) generally consistent across
various UIs.  So making "Other" clickable, in Horde, may be fairly
useless since people don't know to click on it in the first place.

So in this situation, it sounds great to say just add a submenu to the
parent action with the thought that only advanced users would ever
reach the next level.  But the problem is that once you introduce a
submenu, you change the expected behavior of the parent item.  So you
are forcing even novice users to have to navigate (or at least view)
the submenu contents.  And that's not great UI either.

I was suggesting that we introduce a type of context menu action where
the submenu is not automatically displayed on hover -- unless you
happen to hover over the "activating" area.  i.e. the popdown icon.
But this activating area would only be a small portion of the menu
entry, so generally the submenu would never pop open unless/until it
is explicitly desired.

michael