[dev] Git branches

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 27 01:58:08 UTC 2013

Been trying to keep a low-profile lately since there were several
decisions recently made that I vehemently disagree with.  I figured
making further arguments wasn't going to be very productive.

But I do need to question why we have all these 5.2 branches.  I can't
scan the commits messages effectively anymore since half the commits
are nothing more than merges of master.  Why we haven't moved the
current 5.1 branches to separate branches - since they are bugfixes
only at this point - and make master the new release branch?

Especially since I am running into instances where I am getting merge
conflicts of which I was not the original author - so I really have no
idea if my conflict resolutions are correct or not.  Not to mention
these resolutions are not easily identified/reviewable within the
commit messages sent to the list.

Also - we are implementing new features and/or doing certain bug fixes
only on these 5.2 branches, and these commits aren't automatically
being added to whups.  This would not be a problem if we were doing
all this stuff on master.