[dev] Git branches

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Nov 27 02:31:20 UTC 2013

> Been trying to keep a low-profile lately since there were several
> decisions recently made that I vehemently disagree with.  I figured
> making further arguments wasn't going to be very productive.
>
> But I do need to question why we have all these 5.2 branches.  I
> can't scan the commits messages effectively anymore since half the
> commits are nothing more than merges of master.  Why we haven't
> moved the current 5.1 branches to separate branches - since they are
> bugfixes only at this point - and make master the new release branch?

As far as I know we only have one 5.1 branch - master. Once we begin
the release process for Horde 5.2 all of the topic branches will be
merged into master. Right before that happens, master will be branched
to FRAMEWORK_5_1. I know we are close to the scheduled date for 5.2,
but I'm not sure *exactly* how far away we actually are to being ready
to start the cycle.

> Especially since I am running into instances where I am getting
> merge conflicts of which I was not the original author - so I really
> have no idea if my conflict resolutions are correct or not.  Not to
> mention these resolutions are not easily identified/reviewable
> within the commit messages sent to the list.

Not denying you are getting conflicts, but I do wonder why you seem to
be getting so many. I have had less than a handful on non-changelog
related conflicts in 5.2 related coding. Those that I *did* have were
mostly due to the merge/revert of the multiple development branches
and commits made to the wrong branch, the rest were obvious fixes.
Probably something different in our workflow?

> Also - we are implementing new features and/or doing certain bug
> fixes only on these 5.2 branches, and these commits aren't
> automatically being added to whups.  This would not be a problem if
> we were doing all this stuff on master.

I do agree this is somewhat of a PITA. I've been trying to paste the
commit list links when I remember to. Remember though, that when the
branches DO get merged, the backlog of messages will automatically get
posted anyway.

I do agree that we need to reopen the conversation about splitting the
repository, but that absolutely has to wait until after 5.2 and we
need to hash out the workflow, tool set, CS/branching strategy etc..
that makes everybody happy first.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)