[dev] enabling object_emails instead of object_email

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Dec 5 10:51:05 UTC 2013

Zitat von Hans Dingemans <spaarder at hotmail.nl>:

> Hi all,
>
> First thanks for the great Horde environment, every time
> we are thinking of new functionality it seems it is already there,
> waiting to be used or enabled!
>
> My last challenge was about handling multiple email addresses per
> Turba contact; first I read this excellent page,
> http://wiki.horde.org/TurbaExtraFields;
>  I was surprised to find the database already prepared with
> object_homeemail and object_workemail columns, and also in backends.php
> the relevant lines were there (only commented out).
>
> It almost got
>  the job done, except that the autocomplete function only shows the
> "Email" address, not the "Home Email" or the "Work Email". The search
> function works OK, if you have person Tester with email test at example.com
>  and home email testhome at example.com, it will find user Tester, but it
> will show and select test at example.com .
>
> I then searched further
> on the web and enabled the emails-instead-of-email functionality, so you
>  can give a comma-separated list of email addresses in Turba; had to add
>  an object_emails field, but that was all, now this all works well,
> including ActiveSync synchronization and import of vcal files.
>
> Would it be a good idea:
> 1)
>  to enable the object-emails instead of object-mails functionality by
> default, since this al works fine and is upward compatible for those
> users who only wish to use a single email address per contact.

This might be a debateable solution. I'm pretty sure there are other
side-effects though.

> 2) to get rid of the outdated wiki page

It's a wiki, so go ahead and update it or add comments.

> 3) get rid of object_homeemail and object_workemail in the database,
> and the commented lines in backends.php

Not a good idea since this is the only way to explicitly assign to
certain *type* of email addresses. Using the "emails" attribute, the
assignment is random.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project