[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 72ea817571b7bb561686a8d7d6f6cf8e8e7c6e24

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jan 23 19:38:24 UTC 2014

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> The branch "master" has been updated.
>>> The following is a summary of the commits.
>>>
>>> from: ef6afb339341b56d1f7ae650d1cf5dd5a954aeb1
>>>
>>> 72ea817 [mms] Store registry cache on the local filesystem.

>>> commit 72ea817571b7bb561686a8d7d6f6cf8e8e7c6e24
>>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>>> Date:   Wed Jan 22 21:13:22 2014 -0700
>>>
>>>   [mms] Store registry cache on the local filesystem.
>>>
>>>   Horde_Cache is designed for *user* data.  Registry caching is a
>>>   system-level cache so it doesn't fit well there.
>>
>> Uh, why? There is absolutely no reason to consider Horde_Cache for
>> user data only. It's a general purpose caching library and can very
>> well be used for both system-wide and user-level data.
>> If there is any other reason to implement a separate, less flexible
>> caching for registry data, please explain.
>
> Horde_Cache is a "general-purpose" caching library.  It is *NOT* the
> best solution in every caching situation though.  That is a very
> short-sighted approach.

nm.  I was approaching this from a different angle.  I was thinking
you meant "Horde_Cache" as in the globally configured cache instance.
I think you instead mean the "filesystem Horde_Cache driver".

It's still overkill though (the horde registry cache doesn't need
expiration/GC code) IMHO.  I just need a real simple write/read of a
single filename functionality.  I guess I could write a separate
Horde_Cache driver for a "simple filesystem" backend, but again ... I
don't see what this gains us.  Especially since this code is really
only intended for use within Horde_Registry (and possibly another
place in Horde_Core).

michael