[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 35bc13ab8afc7fa683e280f8e2d8dd808a288939

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Feb 4 19:40:32 UTC 2014

>> commit dc3c9f0afd10f03ec98317f96d2e1b1ed0164965
>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> Date:   Mon Feb 3 19:21:41 2014 -0700
>>
>>    Use centralized CSS/JS classes to do garbage collection
>>
>>    Also, reduce GC from 10% to 0.1%.
>>
>> horde/lib/LoginTasks/SystemTask/GarbageCollection.php |   53
>> +++--------------
>> 1 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 45 deletions(-)
>
> This needs to bump the horde dep on Horde_Core.

Was almost certain dependency was already at 2.12.0.  But I guess I was wrong.

> Since this task is triggered only weekly, wouldn't it make more
> sense to have a 1% chance, so that installation with only hundreds
> or even dozen of users have at least a chance to trigger this within
> a few weeks?

1. This action tends to happen on the same day (Monday).  On large
installation (1,000s of users), this can result in an avalanche of GC
requests, which is causing a noticeable slowdown (but see below),
especially if static files are not stored locally... such as NFS.  So
it is best to err on the side of caution.

2. Erring on the side of caution is better since, quite frankly, disk
space is cheap and not going to be an issue.  This just needs to run
enough that we don't have year old static files running around.

All of this may become much less important, since the issue I found
after refactoring is that once the GC was triggered, it was always
scanning the static directory due to a bug.  This has been fixed and
returns to the expected behavior that the actual directory scan will
occur only once a day.

michael