[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 81be85dcd32bca5ca1cd7d3fe261f4fab549f8b7

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Feb 27 19:20:34 UTC 2014

>> commit 8209fd9a5dbdb40ba18dcc27e4d26641b8a99ce6
>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> Date:   Wed Feb 26 22:43:12 2014 -0700
>>
>>    Barcode generation is cool... but also a potential script that
>> can be abused since it doesn't require authentication
>>
>>    We also don't link to it anywhere.
>

> This is technically a BC break. Just because WE don't link to it
> doesn't mean a custom horde application doesn't.

Don't agree with this.

First, this is explicitly marked as a utility.  To me, "utility" means
a tool to use with a given distribution/package.  Future distributions
may not need that utility since it becomes obsolete.  Thus, there is
no guarantee any scripts in here can exist.  This is really no
different than the bin/ directory - with the difference being that
this utility was designed to run from the web while the bin directory
is CLI.  But bin scripts can (and have) appeared/disappeared as needed.

Second, this isn't a part of the API.  Individual scripts have never
been guaranteed to remain the same across releases.  The only way to
guarantee links is by using Horde_Registry methods.  Since this script
isn't included there  -- unlike, say, ajax.php or prefs.php or
portal.php -- it's not part of the API.  "Framework" doesn't mean a
consumer can link willy-nilly to any file included in a particular
version - that's what a defined API is for.

Imagine a JS file in an application.  It's theoretical that someone
could link to them directly.  But that doesn't make it part of the
API.  The exception being scripts accessible via a
Horde_Script_Package class, since this make those scripts part of the
explicitly defined API.  (Also, scripts in the global Horde scope
don't count since they may be linked to by more than one application).

michael