[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Mar 13 05:13:27 UTC 2014

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> Just a random e-mail to share some thoughts.  Some come from
>>> experience refactoring several things over the last month or so.
>>> Some come from reading e-mails and bug reports.
>>>
>>> * Horde_Core a a package is completely unnecessary.  It really
>>> makes no sense separate from the horde application.  For H6 I see
>>> no reason not to combine the two (they are identical to upgrade.)
>>
>> I disagree. It allows a fix/update to Core functionality to be
>> pushed without requiring a full fledged Horde release.
>
> Except this is a falsity.  i.e. you add a configuration option to
> horde and it doesn't do anything because the code that uses it is in
> a separate library?  That makes little/no sense.

Perhaps for point releases where we add new features, yes. Not for bug
fix releases.

> And why should it matter that you are upgrading an application vs. a
> library?  From the PEAR perspective, they are identical actions.
> And from an admin perspective there is no difference either (within
> point releases, you should be able to upgrade without worrying about
> configuration upgrades).

Agreed, but our history has been that application releases do NOT get
released that frequently. I.e., we are not going to drop a new
Application release for a bug fix a few days apart. At least, that's
what our behavior has been.

> Especially since Horde_Core REQUIRES configuration changes as it
> currently stands - which makes it behave differently than every
> other library we distribute.

Why does it REQUIRE a configuration change? This shouldn't be true for
bug fix releases. At the very least, sensible defaults should be
assumed for any new configuration switches added to Core. At the best,
new configuration should be saved for point/feature releases. Even if
we move Core into Horde, this shouldn't change.

> Horde_Core is worthless without horde and vice versa.  We don't gain
> anything from keeping them separate other than unneeded complexity.

With the exception of the points I made above, I agree. Apropos
nothing, but wasn't Core originally your idea? To be clear, I'm not
completely against this, but it means that "Horde" application
releases would have to be able to occur more frequently.

--
mike
The Horde Project