[dev] Repositories was: Constructive Criticism/Venting

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Mar 17 06:15:50 UTC 2014

> On Mar 14, 2014, at 8:28 AM, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
>
>> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>
>>> I've come to agree that this needs to be done, as I've said
>>> before. However, we need to delay this until at least H5.2 is
>>> released. We just don't have the manpower to perform the split,
>>> rewrite our development tool chain, as well as work on the
>>> release/bug fixes etc... I do, however, still adamantly stick to
>>> my view that we need to have the tool chain developed and mostly
>>> working before we make the official switch.
>>
>> I'm completely sold now that we must split the repositories. Right
>> after Horde 5.2 release. To keep being able to fix bugs that crop
>> up after the final release, we indeed need to work out the tools
>> first though.
>>
>> I even want to go a step further and discuss whether we want to
>> move completely to github with version management. Having one
>> (large) system less to maintain would help our limited resources.
>> The code review and commenting and PR systems are awesome too.
>
> I'm in favor of both of those changes.

I agree with both decisions also.  With one caveat: would we lose the
ability to send out e-mail notification messages of commits?  I tend
to think the answer is yet, at least respect to git hooks.  But I know
that github also has some kind of notification API that can probably
be leveraged to do this.

Or is the idea to still push to git.horde.org, and simply do
everything else on github?  It actually would be nice to directly use
github, because then we could use things like committing code directly
from pull requests.

michael