[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Mar 20 02:20:20 UTC 2014

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Why does it REQUIRE a configuration change? This shouldn't be true
>> for bug fix releases. At the very least, sensible defaults should
>> be assumed for any new configuration switches added to Core. At the
>> best, new configuration should be saved for point/feature releases.
>> Even if we move Core into Horde, this shouldn't change.
>
> Nothing in Horde_Core works without configuration as provided by
> horde (well... it doesn't require horde per se, but it requires
> something that shares horde directory structure and configuration
> file format.)
>
> The simple fact is that Horde_Core has nothing to do with every
> other distributable package we have, since it is completely unusable
> without installing Horde applications.  It conceptually doesn't make
> any sense in that light.  Maybe other than an extreme adherence to
> strict semantic versioning, but that alone shouldn't be a sufficient
> reason.  i.e. whether a new API method bumps Horde_Core from 4.5.5
> to 4.6.0 vs. the same change bumping horde 7.0.5 to 7.0.6 doesn't
> matter to an application; since setting the correct dependency
> version in an application works fine either way.

Core can't rely on some configuration being present in Horde since we
can't enforce a Horde version from a framework pacakge. Put another
way, adding some new feature to Core that requires configuration in
Horde cannot be done cleanly without either assuming some default
value for the configuration value, or disabling the feature if the
configuration value is not present.

Perhaps this is an argument to combine them, and that's fine - I was
just making the point that as it stands, upgrading Core does
not/should not REQUIRE a Horde configuration change.

--
mike
The Horde Project