[dev] horde pirum composer repository available?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jul 18 06:19:18 UTC 2014

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Does the current pear.horde.org create a composer repository and how can
> I get its (meta) data?

Yes. http://pear.horde.org/packages.json

All Horde packages are currently installable via composer.  See, e.g.,

http://dev.horde.org/imap_client/install.php

> During the last months, notable projects have been shifting away from
> pear/pirum to composer.

Our plan is to soon add our distributions to packagist for
installation via composer.

> I read that pirum as of version 1.1 creates a
> composer repository. OTOH pirum upstream says it's deprecated, so
> reading composer files and installing the stuff to some global "system"
> repository might be the way to go.

The problem is that composer has a giant usability hole regarding
"global" installations.  The composer people try to play this off, but
this is the main location where PEAR is totally superior.

> Another approach I am investigating is directly monitoring git
> repositories for tags that look like semantic versions, but pending the
> long-awaited horde repository split I don't think this is the right time
> to do it.

No need to.  All Horde packages will be moved to separate repos (with
its corresponding tags) in the very near future.

michael