[dev] Vagrant Configuration

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 14 21:08:49 UTC 2014

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> For a speech I will be giving in a few weeks, I have personal need
>>> for a way to quickly setup a test Horde setup with the latest git
>>> master code.  Since I'll likely be on a Windows machine, Docker is
>>> not an option.  Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) is the way to
>>> go.
>>>
>>> I created a repo and pushed my initial work today to it:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/slusarz/horde-dev-vagrant
>>>
>>> The image is based on Ubuntu 14.04.  PHP 5.5 latest is installed,
>>> and the default Ubuntu Apache installation is used for HTTP.
>>>
>>> Note that currently Horde Groupware apps (and all required and
>>> optional dependencies) are installed in the image, but Horde
>>> itself isn't configured.  That's next.
>>>
>>> Pretty cool - if you have vagrant installed on your machine, all
>>> you have to do is clone that repo, cd into the directory, and run
>>> "vagrant up".
>>>
>>> Can see this being useful for 2 separate use cases in the future:
>>>
>>> 1. Demo purposes.  Since Horde is provisioned using the most
>>> up-to-date code, this gives a user a chance to test out new
>>> features without the need for someone to roll a new release.
>>>
>>> 2. Bug fixing.  More advanced users can use the image directly to
>>> bug fix, without messing around with setting up a local
>>> development environment.  And less advanced users can use the
>>> image to test whether their bug is reproducible on an environment
>>> other than their own.
>>
>> This looks great! In the early days of the LLC, during one of our
>> hackathons, Ben K. did some similar work with Puppet to get a full
>> environment up and running - I can't find the resulting script, but
>> if you're interested you should contact him.

Briefly looked at Puppet/Chef, but it seemed like overkill (at least
at this point).

> Sound great indeed. Could as well get into the official repo.

I want to abstract this out a bit more.

i.e. a basic installation script to install the basic components
necessary for a test Horde server.  That will eventually include
SQLite support and IMAP and SMTP servers.

Then we can create a config that installs the current version of Horde
Groupware Webmail.  This is all installed via PEAR (or, in the future,
Composer).

And a second version containing git master version of things.  This
needs our local scripts to install since we want to link the git
sources with the viewable web output.

michael