[dev] Horde Stringprep - License issue

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Nov 10 21:22:24 UTC 2014

Quoting Remi Collet <remi at fedoraproject.org>:

> Hi,
>
> Again on this component.
>
> According to README file in znerol/php-stringprep library
>
> This software is released under the GNU General Public License v3.0

I don't remember seeing this when I originally created the Stringprep
library.  I think what I did was looked through the actual source
files - there was code that was adopted/used from GNU's idn library I
believe that had a dual-license GPL/LGPL, so I chose the LGPL.

> So, this create a licensing conflicts with Horde_Strinprep, which is,
> according to package.xml, LGPLv3 (COPYING file is GPLv3, but perhaps
> the one for znerol/php-stringprep)

Yes, the COPYING file is wrong.  Will fix.

> I also think it is a bit strange that this library have no official
> release.

I don't find it strange, because it doesn't look like the original
author has/had any intention of releasing.  This is true of all sorts
of code in GitHub (as an example).

michael