[dev] installation of APC fails and fails and fails

Sebastian Birnbach birnbacs at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:30:12 UTC 2015

Dear all,

in the course of getting my PHP installation straight I notice that just
about every PHP-related command appears to use the apc.so extension, which
is missing:

devel at luna:~/pecl-development # pecl list
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/apc.so' - Cannot open
"/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/apc.so" in Unknown on line 0

Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/apc.so' - Cannot open
"/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/apc.so" in Unknown on line 0
Installed packages, channel pecl.php.net:
Package   Version State
LZF       1.6.2   stable
geoip     1.0.8   stable
igbinary  1.2.1   stable
imagick   3.1.2   stable
intl      3.0.0   stable
memcache  2.2.7   stable
mongo     1.5.8   stable
pam       1.0.3   stable
pecl_http 2.1.3   stable
propro    1.0.0   stable
raphf     1.0.4   stable
xdiff     1.4.1   stable
devel at luna:~/pecl-development #

I did  the obvious thing and tried to install APC but keep failing:

* pecl install APC
  -> No releases available for package "pecl.php.net/APC"
* pecl install apc
  -> No releases available for package "pecl.php.net/apc"
* pear install pecl/apc
  -> No releases available for package "pecl.php.net/apc"
* fetch http://pecl.php.net/get/APC-3.1.13.tgz; pecl install APC-3.1.13.tgz
  -> compiler error
* pecl install http://pecl.php.net/get/APC-3.1.13.tgz
  -> compiler error

I iterated through versions 3.1.9 through 2.1.13 but none wants to compile.
Oh and dit I mention that pecl insists to brag about the missing apc.so
extension?

Suspecting that the missing APC has something to do with the tons of
warnings I get when I use e.g. horde-translation, I am really looking for
clues.

I also tried:

portmaster /usr/ports/lang/php56
portmaster /usr/ports/lang/php56-extensions
portmaster /usr/ports/www/mod_php56
pear update-channels
pear upgrade

, which should essentially have reinstalled horde and its Apache
connection.

Any ideas anybody?

Kind regards

  Sebastian