[dev] oops - unintentionally uninstalled mysql-server

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sat May 9 17:04:23 UTC 2015

On 09.05.2015 17:49, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Sebastian Birnbach <birnbacs at gmail.com>:
>
>> All,
>>
>> thanks for bearing with me so far. Starting from a small problem I see
>> myself ending up redoing a major part of the horde installation.
>>
>> Now, while getting my PHP installation real clean I seem to have also
>> uninstalled the mysql-server56. I noticed this as the currently running
>> server behaves strangely in taking way too long to answer requests. In
>> other words, the database files are still there, the SQL server
>> process is
>> still running and all my data apparently is - yet - present.
>>
>> I am hesitant to simply reinstall the package as I don't quite know what
>> files may be overwritten. As far as I can see the data files *should* not
>> get changed, should they?
>
> Correct.
>
>> But will I stay with the same database accounts and passwords?
>
> Yes, those are stored in the database too.
>
>> And how can I make sure that the server is brought down gracefully (and
>> writes to disk all the pending information), now that I don't have the
>> start/stop scripts? Will a simple SIGHUN (i.e. a kill command) do the
>> trick?

Do you still have the mysql client programs present (mysqladmin, mysql)
- They provide a distribution-agnostic way of shutting down things.

"mysqladmin shutdown -pSOMEPASSWORD"

If your distribution runs mysqld through mysqld_safe or mysqld_multi
wrapper, send a SIGHUP to the mysqld_safe process, not to individual
mysqld processes.

If you have no apropriate backup you should consider hiring external
advice first.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer