[dev] slow pageload before authentication

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Fri Jun 19 20:04:15 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

On 06/19/2015 03:32 PM, Michael Menge wrote:
> after changing our production system to horde 5.2.5 (from horde 3) we discovered a strange
> delay in loading the initial page (/ which redirects to login.php) Most of the time the page
> loads in less than a second, but occasional it takes between 30 and 60 seconds.
>
> We discovered that the delay is on the server side, because the delay is visible in
> the apache access logs. Setting the horde loglevel to debug we found for an delayed load of the initial
> page the corrosponding pid produced over 32000 lines of
>
> HORDE [horde] Horde_HashTable_Predis: Retrieved keys (djmss6knc7qpr31c9batplpr31) [pid 31663 on line 233 of "/usr/share/pear/Horde/HashTable/Base.php"]
>
> for different keys. Is this number of keys expected behavior?
> Any ideas what could cause this delay?

two things I would try:

- Run without any optimizer like APC or Predis.

  This will involve a configuration change,
  so back up conf.php first.

  Do is still occur?

- Install something like xdebug and try to get a call
  trace that shows the excessive Horde_HashTable_Predis invocation.

  Then we can go back in the call tree and see what's causing this.

Reading your email again, it could also be some
kind of garbage collection that's running every XX page calls.
The xdebug trace might help.

If you can't install xdebug on the production system / too slow
for the production system, you might want to try debug_backtrace()
logged to a file: http://php.net/manual/de/function.debug-backtrace.php

Cheers from the Lustnau neighborhood,
Thomas