[dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 15 10:14:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

since we have been asked recently when to expect Horde 6, and what
could be done to speed up its release, I'd like to discuss an
alternative option to release Horde 5.3 first.

Many new features have gone into master since the Horde 5.2 release,
few of them sponsored by clients or contributed by the community. The
expectation to see those features in a stable release within a
foreseeable timeframe is more than justified.

We could speed up the Horde 6 release by additional sponsoring, but
it's not only a matter of money, but also a matter of developer
resources. With Michael and me being the only remaining active core
developers at the moment, we rather lack developer time. Especially
for core development like infrastructure stuff, namespace refactoring
etc. that are not easy for contributors to jump in.

AFAIK we don't have any BC breaks in master yet, at least none that
couldn't be solved with bumped dependencies. So doing a 5.3 release
should work. Michael, please correct me if I'm missing something.

The flipside is, that:
- Horde 6 will delay even further
- we won't be able to do any refactoring, e.g. switching to namespaces
- we won't have a repository split that would make the libraries more
attractive, e.g. by being available via composer/packagist and thus
attracting external developers
- we won't be able to do long-anticipated BC breaks that currently
hinder some development

The discussion is open.

Jan.

--