[dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Sep 14 16:34:50 UTC 2016

> Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
>> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> While I don't think there is any technical reason this can't be
>>> done, historically we have always had coordinated major releases -
>>> that is, the major version numbers were always increased together
>>> across the applications and indicated a break in backwards
>>> compatibility with the previous major version line.
>
> Having thought more about this today, I think this what we should
> do. That is, having IMP released as 7.0, even though we "just"
> release Horde 5.3. There's a technical reason too, because at least
> for the groupware bundles we can enforce to keep on IMP 6 for
> Groupware 5.3. People won't accidentally lose the basic view with a
> regular upgrade.

I had suggested something similar and you had said that that was a
"political solution to a technical problem" and that the current PEAR
installer would probably update to the latest available anyway.

https://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20160620/055833.html

> Of course that also means we need to release Groupware 5.3 and 6.0
> in parallel, so people can have IMP 6.2 or 7.0 in their bundles. Or
> is this going to become too complicated?

Doing two different bundle releases, IMO, is too complicated and gives
us one more release process to run - even if the PEAR installer would
allow this (see above).

I also think having a Groupware 6.0, based on Horde 5.3 would be
extremely confusing - is it a BC breaking release or isn't it? Where
are the major new features in such a version jump etc...