[dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Sep 24 03:21:39 UTC 2016

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Having thought more about this today, I think this what we should
>>> do. That is, having IMP released as 7.0, even though we "just"
>>> release Horde 5.3. There's a technical reason too, because at
>>> least for the groupware bundles we can enforce to keep on IMP 6
>>> for Groupware 5.3. People won't accidentally lose the basic view
>>> with a regular upgrade.
>>
>> I had suggested something similar and you had said that that was a
>> "political solution to a technical problem" and that the current
>> PEAR installer would probably update to the latest available anyway.
>>
>> https://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20160620/055833.html
>
> Indeed, if we release two Groupware versions and if the users aren't
> careful, the PEAR installer will always update to the latest
> version. In that case it would help if we lock IMP to version 6.2 in
> a Groupware 5.3 release. But that would happen with any major
> release anyway. There is no way to confirm a major version upgrade
> or limit upgrades to minor/bugfix versions only, in the PEAR
> installer.
>
> PEAR as a repository was working around this by changing the package
> name, so for example horde-5.2.xx would become horde6-6.0.0. The
> <extends> tag in package.xml may be used to still be able to upgrade
> from horde to horde6.
>
>>> Of course that also means we need to release Groupware 5.3 and 6.0
>>> in parallel, so people can have IMP 6.2 or 7.0 in their bundles.
>>> Or is this going to become too complicated?
>>
>> Doing two different bundle releases, IMO, is too complicated and
>> gives us one more release process to run - even if the PEAR
>> installer would allow this (see above).
>>
>> I also think having a Groupware 6.0, based on Horde 5.3 would be
>> extremely confusing - is it a BC breaking release or isn't it?
>> Where are the major new features in such a version jump etc...
>
> Yeah, it may be just too complicated in the end.
>
>>> A side-effect would be that the  Groupware major versions are no
>>> longer in sync with the Horde major versions. We could fix this by
>>> releasing Horde 7 instead of Horde 6 once it's time for that.

> Another alternative would be to simply release what we currently
> have with the version that we planned, and then aim for Horde 7.
> That means we release Horde 6, IMP 7 et al. We don't *have* to break
> BC to justify a major version bump, and we still *shouldn't* make
> too many BC breaks to not delay the next release much more.

This may be the most sensible solution. The end result is the same -
that is, the basic view is gone - but that's less of a surprise factor
with a major release.

> What are the side-effects? Thing we promised for H6 would happen in
> H7 only. But that's just a name.

The only concern that comes to mind is what this would like like in
the repository since we haven't split it yet. We have historically
been only maintaining the framework in the master branch, but now
having the possibility of at least small BC breaks, we will need to
maintain framework in at least two branches now - maybe even three if
we start any non-stable development pre split (the current FW_52,
FW_6, master). Though, I guess this isn't that much different that
what we would need to do for each individual repository once it's
split anyway...