[dev] Automatic S/MIME encryption

Joseph Naegele jnaegele at grierforensics.com
Thu Feb 2 16:01:13 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I submitted an initial patch for automatic S/MIME encryption in IMP for enhancement #12736 (https://bugs.horde.org/ticket/12736). Thanks to Jan for replying and approving. I figured I'd move the discussion here since I have questions about how to implement the remaining necessary functionality.

Automatically checking if we have public keys for all intended recipients is easy. Now I need to notify the user when encryption can't be performed for all recipients. The suggested methods are:

1. Display a warning message (OK/Cancel) if not all public keys are found

2. Connect autocompleter with public key lookup in order to show a lock icon in recipient bubble when a key is found

I'm not sure where to start on either. I looked briefly at the autocompleter code and decided it may be easier to notify the user with a message. I haven't figured out how to do this from Compose.php however. My hope was to find a way to use a JS alert, similar to the compose onbeforeunload handler that asks "Are you sure you want to do this" when you close the window.

I'm sure this isn't too difficult but any tips would be appreciated (or if anyone with more knowledge has time to implement, please do!).

Thanks!

--
Joe Naegele
Grier Forensics