[dev] The Content Controller / ApplicationController - How does this work

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Feb 20 11:01:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm a little puzzled by Horde_Controller use at the moment.

Most applications (trean, nag) have controllers in app/controllers which
inherit Horde_Controller_Base and implement abstract processRequest() to
service requests (either one controller per action or actions separated
by a switch statements)

The content application is different. It does not seem to implement
processRequest(). It provides a base controller
Content_ApplicationController extends Horde_Controller_Base - which does
not implement processRequest. This base controller is used by
TagController (which I would have expected to be Content_TagController)
which also does not implement processRequest. Individual actions are
separate methods.

Also, content seems to have views living under app, stored by controller
and method, which seem to get processed by some ->render method (which
is not part of Horde_Controller_Base nor Content_ApplicationController)

How does this work? Where is the magic part I am missing?
Is this design considered future proof or is this a dead end which I
should not follow designing new applications?

Regards

Ralf

--
Ralf Lang