[dev] wicked page export architecture

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 31 13:55:21 UTC 2018

Zitat von Sebastian Birnbach <birnbacs at gmail.com>:

> Wicked permits page exports in plain text, HTML, LaTeX and reStructured
> Text via links at the end of each page.
>
> Over the attempt to print out a page I went for the HTML format, to find
> out (thanks for pointing this out, Jan) that the corresponding link returns
> just a HTML fragment, lacking the header with the charset and everything.
> Bad for printing.
>
> Could someone please explain what the rationale behind the fragments is? I
> see that for automated export his may come handy, piping a page into a
> larger text structure and everything. But said export is not API
> functionality but user-clickable links. What use would a fragment be to a
> user? And why is there no support for creating a printable page?
>
> Thanks for any architectural clarification.
>
>   Sebastian

There is no special reasoning for this. We send what the different
renderers produce straight to the browser. Those links *are* APIs
though, and definitely are used as such. We for example use the ReST
export to synchronize documentation between the source code and the
wiki. Thus we cannot simply change the output, since it may break
existing consumers.
The correct way would be to add a print CSS theme, so that the page
can be printed correctly.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project