[dev] Horde on Docker, Horde on PHP7

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Sep 12 19:52:17 UTC 2018

Hi Sebastian,

Am 12.09.2018 um 13:52 schrieb Sebastian Birnbach:
> My FreeBSD jails solution suffered a big hickup when doing a major OS
> version update. As a modernisation step I am considering running Horde on
> Docker. I ran across Ralf Lang's Horde on PHP7 image (
> https://hub.docker.com/r/rlang/horde-dev-php7/) and wonder if it could fit
> the bill.
>
> Questions:
>
> * from the Horde dev team's view, are there any specific reasons not to run
> Horde on Docker?
No. B1 actually has a ready made development container for horde in OBS.
It runs php7 on openSUSE 42.3.
A container for openSUSE LEAP 15 with more recent PHP is currently in
preparation. B1 are also working on a derived platform with npm and
React/JSX toolchain for easier frontend development.

These will also work for small to moderate staging work loads, but for
large scale production I would suggest a different setup.
> * is Horde on PHP7 ready for production yet?
As far as I can tell, all mainstream apps run fine under php7

> * any other Docker image recommendation for a dev/production Horde system?
> Maybe something more specific for FreeBSD?
Not that I know of.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer