[dev] SMTP settings ignored

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:31:04 UTC 2018

Em 31/12/2018 13:40, Sebastian Birnbach escreveu:
> I am setting up a new horde system from scratch. Horde authentication is
> against an SQL database; imp uses the passed through credentials on the
> IMAP server (doevecot), which checks it against the same SQL database.
> Reason was that login will be possible as long as the SQL dab is up, even
> if dovecot is down.
>
> I want users to supply fixed credentials to the SMPT server so I set those
> in Configuration->Horde->Mailer:
> $conf[mailer][type] = SMTP
> $conf[mailer][params][host]
> and so on.
>
> I supplied username in $conf[mailer][params][username] and password in
> $conf[mailer][params][password]. I also unchecked
> $conf[mailer][params][username_auth] and
> $conf[mailer][params][password_auth]. However, all users' SMTP
> authentications gets rejected every time.

This is the horde-wide SMTP configuration. Not always the same
configuration applies to IMP SMTP server.

If you want all IMP users to use the same login credentials from horde's
SMTP, I think you should set the following inside
horde/imp/config/backends.local.php:

$servers['imap']['smtp']['horde_auth'] = true;

This option means all authenticated users will use the login credentials
for smtp configured in horde-wide smtp configuration.

 From imp/config/backends.php (take a look at the "NOTE" below):

* smtp: (array) SMTP configuration parameters.
  *
  *   For configuration parameters marked with a [*] below, the
Horde-wide SMTP
  *   configuration is used by default.
  *
  *   If allowing access to external mail servers (e.g. Gmail), you almost
  *   certainly will want to override the defaults to specify the
foreign SMTP
  *   server used to send messages from that given mail domain.
  *
  *   NOTE: By default, IMP will use the authentication credentials used to
  *   login to the current backend. To use the credentials specified by the
  *   Horde-wide SMTP configuration, 'horde_auth' must be true (see below).
  *
  *   These configuration parameters are available:
  *     - debug: (string) If set, enables SMTP debugging. See the 'debug'
  *              parameter below (under the 'Debugging Properties' header)
  *              for acceptable values.
  *     - horde_auth: (boolean) If true, populates the 'password' and
  *                   'username' parameters with the authentication
credentials
  *                   used by the Horde-wide SMTP configuration (only if
those
  *                   fields are not defined for this backend in IMP).
(...)