[dev] IMP: trigger getmail upon "refresh" button press

Sebastian Birnbach birnbacs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 15:45:53 UTC 2019

A local IMAP server keeps my users' mails, and IMP is used as frontend. The
local mail server has no MX record, so E-Mails must be fetched from the ISP
with the "getmail" tool. A cron job triggers the getmail utility every few
minutes.

For the work with one of our customers we need faster mail pickup. After we
request login to their sever they send us an E-Mail with a (short-lived)
access token. Ideally getmail would be triggered every n minutes as long as
a user is logged in, plus every time the user clicks 'refresh'. Oh, and it
is a mailbox to which several users have access.

I found getmail can be triggered upon mailbox read access (cf.
https://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/TriggerGetmailOnIMAPAccess) but I am not at
all sure about the efficiency and configurability of this solution.

Does Horde offer any kind of support here? A hook to the pressing of
'refresh' in IMP maybe, or periodic command execution as long as a user is
logged in? Anything?