[dev] RFC: HTTP API approach (REST)

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jan 24 11:55:35 UTC 2019

Hi,

Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hi,
>
> I have implemented a mock for a resource-centric Horde API (Kind of REST
> Level 1).
>
> Major roadblock was understanding how the Horde Controller Framework
> (rampage) actually works and where to change bits which seemed to get in
> my way. Please comment if this goes into the desired direction. The
> earlier I know which bits are not likely to go into upstream horde, the
> easier I can adopt.
>

> Overview:
>
> I basically cloned the endpoint file rampage.php into an own app,
> changing some details.
>
> We do not auth upfront. We may want to allow public  access to some
> resources or use a non-standard userbase, think API users/machine users
> or we want to enforce auth per request, i.e. no cookie/session key.
> Depends on case
>
> We use a modified RequestMapper to understand registry API names
> This RequestMapper looks in the first /slug/ of the URL for API names
> (while the original mapper looked for Application names)
>
> Thus, the URL does not reveal which horde app is actually implementing
> the resource. The implementing app's routes.php config file matches the
> route to a controller and may require an explicit authentication
> scenario (like method http-auth, backend horde-auth). Otherwise we fall
> back to some configured global (no auth or http-basic)
>
> The original Horde Controller Framework's runner understands pre and
> post filters but the default SettingsExporter noops. A base "api"
> controller class exists chiefly to override the SettingsExporter for all
> derived controllers.
>
> This SettingsExporter understands authentication and permission related
> optional extra keys in routes.php and configures suitable pre filters.
>
> I intentionally did not yet try to integrate this with either
> base/rampage.php or base/rpc.php at this point.

> The current repo ships with a toy usecase where the "api" app itself
> exposes an endpoint /api/introspection/apps
> However, the auth module is not yet implemented, the endpoint currently
> runs unauthenticated.
> The controller is just for presentation. A real base controller will
> need to provide different behavior on GET, POST and most likely some
> request details/headers (json or xml, language preference, pagination...)
>
> https://github.com/ralflang/horde-api
>
> This is really just a first draft to see if it's worth to continue or if
> it is a flawed design. There is so much to add next.
>

> How to run:
>
> - checkout into a horde git tree as "api" directory
> - copy the registry snippet from /doc/ to base/config/registry.d/
> - run git-tools dev install
> - create a config via the menu
> - you can run or ignore the db migration file, doesn't matter
> - hit $horde/api/introspection/apps for the toy usecase
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Thanks a lot for driving this forward!

To make it easier to actually review what's been done so far, can you
please remove everything from the repo that's not part of this POC?
I don't see this becoming an application finally anway, but either a
part of the base application or a separate library. Though this could
be debated of course.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project