[dev] How to do a proper release

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Apr 2 15:43:03 UTC 2019

Hallo,

as the composer effort slowly reaches "usability for early birds", I
noticed the components release tool still holds mysteries and some horde
server side magic.  I don't see through yet.
Either there is some undocumented process around using the tool or it
does not really support a "downstream release" independent of the
horde.org services.

Here are my guesses. Please show me where I am wrong or missing something.

Assuming I have added a bug fix or feature to the horde master branch,
it contains a neat commit message, checks pass, upstream has reviewed,
what would need handling

-- Formal creation of a next version (what a downstream release also
would need to do)

- The patch or feature needs porting to the maintained branches
(typically one) or a new maint branch (new significant version) needs to
be forked from master
- The maintained branches each need a minor or patch version bump.
- CHANGES, horde yaml file, composer file, pear package manifesto all
need updated changelog, version bump
- The hardcoded version inside the Application.php needs bumping (apps only)
- Something with sentinels and template files?
- Commit to the maintained branch, tag with the new version
- Possibly create a real tgz from the pear manifesto?

--- Actual release (what a real upstream release does)

- Push pear package to pear.horde.org
- Send out some mail from templates and package metadata
- push to packagist?
- Update website?
- Update horde bug tracker menu options

-- Mystery: Versions

I don't get it right how versions are handled.

In Applications:

- The tagged releases have proper versions -public $version = 'H5 (5.0.7)';
- Master and maint branch have -git versionspublic $version = 'H5
(5.0.8-git)';  public $version = 'H5 (6.0.0-git)';

In CHANGES file, there is no distinction in libraries but in apps?

changelog.yml seems to have no -git versions

package.xml has no -dev
https://github.com/horde/base/blob/master/package.xml

--
Ralf Lang