[dev] [BC Break Discussion] Hot Fixing Horde_Rpc php7 compat

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Feb 25 08:37:48 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'd like to hot fix Horde_Rpc for php7 compatible function prototypes.

The main issue is Horde_Rpc_Drivers being based on Horde_Rpc but having
distinct function signatures.
I want to solve this by breaking the inheritance. I think this is OK
because Horde_RPC is mostly composed of static public functions and
nothing in Horde Framework, not even in the unmaintained/alpha apps,
relies on Horde_Rdo_Foo being a subtype of Horde_Rdo.
For convenience I would add an interface covering the methods where it
makes sense. Mostly to all the drivers so whatever 3rd party code relies
on them sharing some type can be easily fixed.

Questions:

Any chance this would get accepted as a kind of backport in Horde 5?
Strictly it's a BC break but it won't create any visible issues.

As Horde Base won't run correctly without Horde_Rpc being installed, I
assume I cannot use traits but need some other means of code sharing.

I see this as a hot fix as my general idea for horde 6 is abandoning
Horde_Rpc and refactoring the drivers to use the Horde_Controller/Routes
framework. I already invested some work into this, mostly for RESTish stuff.

--

Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de