[dev] minified Javascript code in Horde

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed May 13 09:50:12 UTC 2020

Hi Jan,

On  Mo 11 Mai 2020 22:09:24 CEST, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Zitat von Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently in the process of re-upload all of Horde back to
>> Debian after it had been removed by the previous package maintainer.
>>
>> While doing this, I go over all the Horde source code and check its
>> compliance with Debian policy.
>>
>> I found several bundled + minified Javascript libraries that I'd
>> like to bring up here (with the potential goal of having them
>> exchanged to their non-minified counterparts).
>>
>> In Debian, I must not use minified JS files, and strictly said, I
>> need to repack the upstream tarballs and drop all minified code.
>>
>> For these Horde components / JS bundles I could find a work around solution:
>>
>> Horde_Core: OpenLayer.js (solution in Debian: I use OpenLayer-debug.js)
>> Horde_Core: jquery.mobile.min.css (solution in Debian: I grabbed
>> the non-minified
>>    counterpart from upstream and ship that instead)
>> Horde_Mime_Viewer: some of the syntaxhighlighter (3.0.83)
>> Javascript files are
>>    minified (but there is an src/ folder in Horde_Mime_Viewer)
>>
>> For this, I came up with a solution, I need feedback on:
>>
>> Horde: Ships a bundled and minified version of plupload 1.5.1+
>>
>> My solution for the plupload bundle was to drop the plupload 1.5.1+
>> shipped in Horde's source entirely and inject a plupload 1.5.3 from
>> upstream. Shipping old and unmaintained code in Debian is
>> suboptimal, so I wonder, if plupload is used at all in Horde theses
>> days and if also the latest upstream version of plupload would work
>> instead (2.3.6). Problematic with latest plupload might also be the
>> fact that its license got changed to AGPL-3+ (thus, one has to
>> provide the exact used copy of plupload for download ttw).
>
> Regarding pupload, I'm pretty sure that it's still being used in
> Ansel. At least it was in earlier versions.

Ok. I will check and test Ansel with my injected plupload version. It
would be cool to have the minified plupload code replaced by a
non-minified version in php-horde.

>> All in all, I've seen many other 3rd party Javascript libraries
>> with old versions bundled in Horde. Is there any chance of getting
>> those updated sooner or later?
>
> The problem is obviously with libraries that have newer major
> versions i.e. that breack backward compatibility. Depending on the
> library, it might be a lot of work to up get Horde up-to-date with
> those. And in some cases it might not be possible without breaking
> BC within Horde too. It has to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Yes, I thought so. I guess bundles library updates only will occur if
a new feature might require this. The testing can indeed be painful,
of course.

Also for jquery.mobile.min.css in Horde_Core, it would be cool to ship
the non-minified version instead. We currently do that in the Debian
package, but as the maintainer, I have watch out for changes in
jquery.mobile.min.css shipped in the upstream code. It would long-term
ease my day if I could use a jquery.mobile.non-min.css found in the
upstream code.

Greets,
Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31